Terms and Conditions for use of Venture Online, NTU's alumni online community
You are responsible for regularly reviewing these terms and conditions. The University reserves the right to change the terms and conditions. Your continued use of the Venture Online system constitutes your agreement to all such terms and conditions.
Please note: Nottingham Trent University is not an Internet Service Provider. In order to use Venture Online you must have Internet access and all the software (and skills) required for email and web usage.
1. The service is offered free to alumni, at the discretion of the University, and may be terminated at any time, although there is no intention to withdraw the service. The University cannot be held responsible for any loss or damage due to the failure or termination of the service, although we will make reasonable efforts to let you know in advance of foreseeable service interruptions.
2. Any entries which could be construed as offensive or which could bring the University into disrepute may be removed. The University reserves the right to edit or delete inappropriate entries.
3. If any third party site is linked to/from the Alumni Online site, it does not mean that the University endorses, or has any responsibility for the site in question, or anything that appears on it. Nottingham Trent accepts no responsibility or liability for any services in respect of any complaints with regards to benefits and services offered by individuals or companies outside the University.
4.You undertake to register for Venture Online using accurate and current information about yourself, including your correct name, address and any other information requested.
5. Confirmation of registration will be sent by the University to the e-mail address you supply on registering.
6. By registering with Venture Online you agree that your data can be used for the purposes described below. All data will be held in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998.
Your privacy and what we do with your data
Information you supply will be held on the Venture Online secure server and on the Nottingham Trent University Alumni Database in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998. All security measures to protect your data and privacy are in place and your data will only be used for University and/or alumni purposes.
The only people who will see data on this system are staff of Nottingham Trent University, other alumni using the system and agents contracted by the University for purposes directly related to the interests of the University and its alumni.
You can choose whether to make your data visible to other alumni using the Venture Online system. By completing the relevant check boxes to publish chosen data you are deemed to have consented to your chosen data being viewed by other alumni. You may change these options at any time.
By choosing to make your data visible you are deemed to have also consented that this data may be disclosed to users of the system in countries outside the European Economic Area (EEA). It is necessary to draw your attention to this as any information displayed on the Internet is regarded as having potential for disclosure outside the EEA and the Data Protection Act 1998 requires that you explicitly consent to such a disclosure.
Alumni data is used by academic, administrative and support departments of Nottingham Trent University to promote close links between the University and its former students. Uses include: analysis of employment data to inform University courses and services, communication of relevant news, benefits, services and career-related information and the promotion of ways in which alumni can support the university and its students – past, present and future.
Data may be made available to our academic, administrative and support departments, alumni groups and societies (including overseas). Data will not be disclosed to external organisations other than agents acting for the University on alumni related projects, e.g. mailing houses for the mailing of alumni publications.
The University may also provide information to external surveying companies working on behalf of government agencies or funding bodies (including, without limitation, the Higher Education Statistics Agency (HESA) who may contact you directly from time to time as part of their Destination of Leavers from Higher Education (DLHE) longitudinal survey). Any information will be treated confidentially. See the section 'Your Data and HESA' for detailed information.
If you give a mailing address, email, fax and/or telephone number(s), you authorise Nottingham Trent University, and agents acting for the University, to contact you using any of these methods. You may opt out of specific or all communications at any time.
If you have particular enquiries about data protection you are welcome to email email@example.com.
Opt Out Policy
To remove your details from Venture Online and to de-register from receiving the services of Venture Online, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject of 'Remove me from Venture Online' and with clear instructions in the text of your email. You will still be able to access the public areas of the alumni website. You may opt to remove yourself from Venture Online and still receive correspondence from the University, or you can opt to break contact with the University entirely.
If necessary the Alumni Association will contact you to clarify the conditions of your request. All requests will be dealt with within 28 days of receipt of the request.
You may register again in the future by following the registration instructions at Venture Online.
7. The deliberate sending of junk or spam e-mails or e-mail infected with virus or other malicious attachments to users of the Venture Online website is forbidden.
8. Your use of the Venture Online site is entirely at your own risk.
9. The University reserves the right to remove users who infringe this Agreement.
10. If you see anything on the Venture Online site which appears to infringe this Agreement, please contact the Alumni Association to inform us of it by emailing email@example.com.
11. By accepting the terms and conditions, once your registration has been completed you have consented to your information being made available as described in these terms and conditions.